Pages

Saturday 25 August 2012

Cocktail o'clock!



If you're having friends over and are stuck for ideas for something entertaining to do, then perhaps consider holding a cocktail-making party.
 
Recently, a couple of the girls and I got together for exactly this and I could wax lyrical all day about how much fun we had!


How to go about it:


You'll need the following basics:

  • A good cocktail book (we used '1000 Classic Cocktail Recipes' by Robert Cross)
  • A cocktail shaker, preferably with a strainer
  • A blender (for making 'frozen' cocktails, which I'd definitely recommend)
  • Various spirits and mixers, depending on which cocktails take your fancy. If you're on a budget then I suggest picking recipes that use the same spirit/s to keep the cost down
  • Some nice glasses & decorations for the drinks, such as fresh fruit, drinking straws and mini umbrellas
  • Lots of crushed ice
  • A couple of willing guinea pigs participants to join in the cocktail shaking and drinking
 
And voila! you have all the ingredients for a perfect party.





We experimented with several cocktails during the evening, including good ol' classics such as mojitos, and classics with a twist - saocos (a Caribbean recipe similar to a pina colada but made with coconut milk instead of creamed coconut) and my personal favourite - frozen raspberry daiquiris. I couldn't find an exact recipe for the berry daiquiris so we improvised a little with superb results! The secret is to taste your creations whilst preparing them (any excuse!) until you get the perfect balance.



Happy cocktail making!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my god, DELISH!!! I love pina coladas so I will definitely have to look up saocos. That sounds so amazing! The raspberry daiquiris look so yummy too. You have some very lucky guinea pigs in your life ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! In all honesty I thought the saocos tasted a little strange, but I think it was because we used extra creamy coconut milk where the thinner stuff would've sufficed! We put ours in the blender too and added some fresh pineapple which was super yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuuuuun! I'd love to host a cocktail party and have unique drinks to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is great fun, I definitely recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM yum yum - you have to make me one of those (soon )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Come and visit me and I will! :) x

      Delete