Pages

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)


The '100 Must Read Books' challenge continues! The latest book I've just finished is the brilliant Wuthering Heights.

What it’s About:

Set in the early 1800s to the backdrop of the desolate Yorkshire moors, it tells the tale of the fanatical love between Catherine Earnshaw and the orphan Heathcliff. Theirs is a love that is destined to fail, destroying not just them but all those around them.

Why Read it:


This is the only published novel by Emily Bronte. Be prepared for a dark read, as Wuthering Heights has more than its share of wicked characters. Add to this some brilliant passages about the stark, wintry countryside and you have the recipe for one finely written, menacing tale.



Favourite Quotes:

“Your cold blood cannot be worked into a fever: your veins are full of ice water; but mine are boiling, and the sight of such chillness makes them dance.”

“Having levelled my palace, don’t erect a hovel and complacently admire your own charity in giving me that for a home.”

“I have not broken your heart – you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine.”

“I gave him my heart, and he took and pinched it to death; and flung it back to me. People feel with their hearts and since he has destroyed mine, I have not power to feel for him…” 

“… Treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends: they wound those that resort to them, worse than their enemies.”



No comments:

Post a Comment