Pages

Saturday 21 July 2012

The Benefit of Hindsight and all that!

It occurred to me the other day whilst looking in the mirror that I really shouldn’t have plucked my eyebrows so thinly when I was younger. If only I’d known then that they’d eventually stop growing back and I’d be left with but a few scraggly tufts of wannabe hair where once there had been beautiful thick, youthful eyebrows. Aah!

This grievous injustice then got me thinking about ALL the other things I wish I’d known at eighteen, which then compelled me to write a post about this!

So here goes; the things I wish I'd known back then:

1. Not everyone you meet in life will have your best interests at heart so be careful whose advice you listen to and whose company you keep.

2. Be tolerant and considerate of other people and their views – you don’t know what they may be going through or what life experiences they have had that have formed their current opinions.

3. Your body is freaking awesome and healthy at eighteen – appreciate it, take care of it and have confidence in yourself. It’s much harder to look as effortlessly good when you hit 30!

4. Whilst love is an awesome thing and should be cherished, never let your love for someone allow you to lose sight of other, equally important things in your life, for example, friends, family, career etc.

5. Set up a pension as soon as you can afford to do so in your twenties.

6. Dance as often as you can, whenever you can and without caring if you look silly. Dancing is good for the soul.

7. Don’t beat yourself up over mistakes. We all make them. Just make sure you learn from them.

8. Everything you read in your twenties about the importance of moisturising your neck is completely true! It’s one of the first areas to show signs of aging when you hit your 30’s. And use sun cream! I wish I had.

9. Think really carefully about what you want study at university and whether career satisfaction or money is the most important motivation for you. Both can be highly relevant!

10. Life is a constant ebb and flow. The bad times pass, as do the good. The secret to happiness is being able to accept both the good with the bad. (*Caveat - I’m still learning how to do this now…)


What do you wish you had known at eighteen?

Image from dreamstime


No comments:

Post a Comment